Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Life Of Pi: Are Indians bad for business?

Tell me I'm not imagining this...
Suraj Sharma unshopped.

In the international / North American market, the posters for Life Of Pi (2012) seem to de-emphasise Suraj Sharma's Indian looks, either by making him small, selecting an ambiguous face angle or focusing on the tiger instead.

Even in the Asian posters, which I believe not coincidentally are the ones with the clearest depiction of him, his eyes are not black or brown but blue.

And come to think of it, the first time I saw the trailer, knowing nothing of the Martel story, I thought he was a Mediterranean fella, sorta like Sinbad or maybe that aboriginal kid from Australia (2008).

Hmm... marketing research is a scary place.

Hollywood doesn't want you to think it's a movie about Indians. If this is true, it also means the research is sound. At the end of the day, it's all about the money.

Take it easy, fellas.